Arriving at the formula for a perfect smartphone is what Huawei did with last year’s Mate 9.
The Mate 9 and Mate 9 Pro were amazing phones with great displays, huge batteries, and machine learning. While arriving at the formula is a struggle, keeping it up is a whole other story.
Seems like this isn’t a problem for Huawei.
This year, Huawei launches the Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro devices and by the looks of it, the company is mastering the formula to a perfect smartphone. Here are five major reasons why you need to get your hands on these devices.
The Kirin 970 comes with a dedicated Neural Processing Unit (NPU), which enables real-time AI processes right on your device
- The all-new Huawei Mate 10 series devices come with Huawei’s own Kirin 970, which is the world’s first processor with on-board AI processing. The Kirin 970 comes with a dedicated Neural Processing Unit (NPU), which enables real-time AI processes right on your device. Not only do you have a faster device but even apps such as Prisma, which use cloud-based AI will be able to use the NPU and perform their tasks faster. The Kirin 970 is also said to be 25% more powerful and 50% more energy efficient than processors from last year.
2) Battery life like no other
- The Mate 10 devices provide you with more than a full-day’s charge thanks to their giant 4000 mAh battery but Huawei has gone a step ahead and the Mate 10 duo comes with the world’s first certified safe fast charge. The new devices feature TÜV Safety Certified Huawei SuperCharge technology which is another ‘first’ in the world of smartphones.
- The devices have gone through rigorous tests such as numerous charging cycles, extreme weather tests, effects of chargers from third-party companies as well as inserting and removing the cable 10,000 times.
3) Real Photography in your pocket
The camera features a dual camera setup where one is a 12MP color (RGB) sensor and the other with a 20MP black and white (monochrome) sensor
- Both the Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro come with a Leica-powered dual camera with SUMMILUX-H lenses, featuring an aperture of f/1.6. The cameras also come with AI-powered Real-Time Scene and Object Recognition as well as AI-powered Bokeh.
- The camera features a dual camera setup where one is a 12MP color (RGB) sensor and the other with a 20MP black and white (monochrome) sensor. Thanks to this combination the camera is not only able to attain great colour but also far more detail in the images.
- The cameras on both devices are stellar point-and-shoot cameras. Thanks to an aperture of f/1.6, the cameras provide great exposure values (even in indoor settings).
- The wide-aperture mode provides the much-sought-after bokeh effect and thanks to its AI enhancements has excellent understanding of depth in images.
- DxOMark scores the Huawei Mate 10 devices at 97, which one of the highest scores among smartphones right now.
4) EMUI 8.0 — New and simplified
- Why buy a phone and wait for the latest OS when it can be on your device from day 1? Emotion UI or EMUI, which is Huawei’s custom interface based on Android, this year gets simplified and highly customizable. EMUI 8.0 is based on Android 8.0 Oreo.
- Want to add another button into your navigation controls? Or want to hide them altogether? Do you want to calibrate the color on your screen? Or add knuckle based gestures? Want a theme but icons from another? It’s all possible on the new Huawei Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro. Thanks to EMUI 8.0, customization is endless.
- EMUI 8.0 also brings with it EMUI Desktop. All you need is a USB Type-C to HDMI cable and get a full desktop experience on any display. The great thing about EMUI Desktop is that it doesn’t just replicate the display. It creates a separate desktop experience where the phone can be used separately as well as act as your trackpad to scroll through the display.
5) Function with form
The Mate 10 devices aren’t just beautiful. They’re also robust. The device is IP67 water and dust resistant
- The Huawei Mate 10 and Mate 10 Pro aren’t just about what’s inside. Both phones feature a 3D Glass Body featuring an almost bezel-less design.
- Both also come with Huawei FullView displays and support HDR10.
- The Mate 10 devices aren’t just beautiful. They are also robust. The device is IP67 water and dust resistant. So, whether it’s a drop in water or a sand storm, the devices will be able to handle whatever is thrown your way.
A beautiful phone, with a stellar camera, long battery-life, an AI processor and certified safety standards. How exactly does a smartphone get any better?