A shooter and three persons died on Friday after gunfire at the U.S. navy base in Pensacola, Florida, the Navy confirmed in a tweet.
The shooter was identified as a member of the Saudi Air Force visiting the United States for military training, the state governor and other officials said, adding that at least eight people were injured and had been taken to hospital.
The King of Saudi Arabia called U.S. President Donald Trump Friday after the shooter was confirmed to be a Saudi national.
“King Salman of Saudi Arabia just called to express his sincere condolences and give his sympathies,” Trump said in a tweet, adding the Saudi king said the shooter “in no way, shape or form represents the feelings of the Saudi people.”
The shooter was killed by sheriff’s deputies responding to the dawn incident at Naval Air Station Pensacola, the Navy and local sheriff’s office said, the second deadly shooting at a U.S. military installation this week.
The motive for the violence was under investigation and U.S. law enforcement was reportedly looking into whether the shooting was terrorism related.
(With input from Reuters)